Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Journeying towards Universal Loving Kindness (Meditation)

The Universal Loving Kindness exercise is a powerful meditation exercise expanding the mind and heart (Dacher, 2006).  Also, this meditation exercise is a short yet great source of practice in alleviating embedded anger and hatred built within an individual’s heart.  Once practiced and incorporated into one’s life, one will be able to move their personal love within themselves to universal loving-kindness to others around them.   In addition, this exercise is considered a thoughtful and reflective healing award not just for our personal being but everyone else around them in the world.  This practice helps individual’s reach out to others.  Best of all, this exercise doesn’t take much effort or time to incorporate this simple practice into one’s daily life. 
So as I practice this simple and short exercise, I discovered a weight being lifted off my heart.  I feel a sense of goodness within my heart.  I felt like getting up and doing some good deed.  Although it was a short exercise, it was refreshing.  I find myself less tense inside and out.  With this exercise the chosen area to be a focus of growth and development is towards my overall attitude and well-being towards others.  I figure if I were to incorporate and practice this small exercise on a daily basis prior to my day beginning I can have a better outlook and attitude towards my day and the people I approach.  This will help me grow and develop a better and less stressful individual not just personally but even with my surroundings.  I can make my surroundings and the environment a better and more approachable place to be in and work in.   Overall, I will have a better perspective towards my peers as well as myself. 

In my opinion, simple practices or exercises that an individual can implement to foster greater wellness towards universal loving kindness is just reaching out to others and showing some type of compassion.  Listening, helping, assisting, being generous or just sympathetic is practicing universal loving kindness because universal loving kindness embraces life and softens the mind as well as opens the heart to others (Dacher, 2006).  And what’s funny is that many of us probably already practice or incorporate some type of universal loving kindness into their lives and don’t even realize it.  So, practicing this little short meditation on a day to day basis can uplift one’s spirit and heart as well as the others around them.

Dacher, E. S. (2006). Integral Health: The Path to Human Flourishing. Laguna Beach, CA:
Basic Health Publications.

No comments:

Post a Comment