Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Journeying to Integral Assessment

With the integral assessment practice, individuals learn to focus on areas they would like to address and develop in improving such as personal relationships, emotional development, fitness, or work related issues.  According to Dacher (2006) “It’s important to address that concern in all the related quadrants, lines, and levels” (p. 115).   In other words, it is important addressing areas of concern that is distressful and requires development and improvement.  With this practice, individuals will discover and identify areas that `are affecting them and needs improvement. 

So by practicing the integral assessment, I discover the area of concern I need to address which is worldly.  The source of difficulty that is affecting me is my school work.  I feel overwhelmed with all the assignments required within the week.  I am an overachiever and have high standards.  Because of this, I have a difficult time managing my stress effectively and lack the time to be with my family.  And when I am stressed my family suffers because I have a tendency of secluding myself, therefore, I neglect my family.   The line of development that is most essential in healing is my mental well being as well as my personal relationship with my family.  I need to find better ways to manage my stress more effectively and not let it affect my family also, I need to find more time to work on my school work so I can leave the weekend time focused in spending with my family.  Exercises or activities will probably consist of better time management, and taking breaks so I am not so physically, mentally, emotionally, and psychologically drained.  Incorporating the Crime of the Century meditation exercise can help me achieve greater wellness into this area since it is very relaxing and soothing.  Something I need to practice on a daily basis.  By doing so, I can better manage my stress and have a better outlook towards to my family.

Dacher, E. S. (2006). Integral Health: The Path to Human Flourishing. Laguna Beach, CA:
Basic Health Publications.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Diana,

    I just wanted to say that I appreciate all the effort you put into your blogs each and every week. I believe they help others see what you are going through and it motivates them as well. I also enjoy seeing the emotions you put into each blog and you do a great job each and every week. I just wanted to see that I definitely agree with you about the stress situation. It is very difficult to keep up with everything when we have so much to do. But it is important that we take a few moments out of the day just to relax and take a breather. I believe that this will help anyone it will definitely reduce their stress. I want to wish you the best of luck and I think the things that you have learned in this class will really help you strengthen the area you want strengthen. Good luck with all your goals and keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diana,

    What I have observed from your post is how one area of concern somehow spills over to other aspects of our life. For example, you mentioned worldly as your area of focus with school as the source of your stress, being overwhelmed, and not spending time with your family.

    As such, it appears that your interpersonal life and psychospiritual life may also be affected as they touch on emotions, personal, and family concerns. It is good that you recognize the area of weakness and are implementing exercises and activities to help you grow and develop. In addition, it is a good idea to take breaks throughout the day so that you are not drained with all your school work; even if it is to do some stretches or sit in silence as you close your eyes and reflect on the positive. I also think that the Crime of the Century meditation exercise is a great way to cleanse the mind and promote relaxation. When you maintain a relaxed state of mind, you will find that you are able to accomplish your work more productively, which will allow you spend quality time with your family.

    As we have learned, it is discovering the joy in all we do...just by changing our perception. As you transform your work, I am sure you will experience less stress and more peace and happiness.

    Good luck with your accomplishments!

    Allana

    ReplyDelete