Monday, February 14, 2011

Reflecting Back Towards My Physical, Spiritual, and Psychological Well-being


Reflecting back towards my reflections on a scale from 1 to 10 with 10 being of optimal well being, I started my physical well-being rated as a 9.  But as I look back, I believe I have rated myself too high and have too much confidence within myself.  Now that we are coming to a closure of this course, I believe my physical well-being is a 7.  I say this because despite that I am physically active in my life by incorporating physical exercise in my daily routine as well as incorporating healthy eating habits within my diet and my families, I know there is always room for improvement.  Also, although I may take good physical care of my health by seeing the doctor regularly and as needed, I still have some physical issues such as my disability which I contracted due to a head injury I encountered in my past experience.  I must take regular medications in order to stabilize it from affecting me.  Having said that, I have no right to rate myself as high as I should have since I can never become a perfect 10 since there are still areas in my life I need to work on.  And with this class in order for someone to a perfect 10 in their physical well being, they need to be a perfect 10 in their spiritual and psychological well-being as well.   
As for my spiritual well-being, I rated myself a perfect 10 because I have my Christian faith to spiritually fill my needs but depending on what spiritual well-being means, determines why an individual would rate themselves the way they do.  For instance, I consider my spiritual faith a 10 because I have spirituality in my life.  However, am I spiritually healed inside?  In order for me to be spiritually healed, I need to be healed physically, and psychologically.  So, although my spirituality helps alleviate the problems that are out of my control, my spirituality helps bring me together and gives me my sense of belonging and helps me to connect with my community.  My spiritual faith helps me strengthen my outlook towards all of the aspects in my life.  But I am not spiritually a perfect 10.
As for my psychological well-being, this is my weakest point.  I rated myself at least a 5 in which I agree and remain the same.  I say this because I still have a difficult time managing my daily stressors from school and I feel mentally drained with all of the school work I have to do.  Also, I have a difficult time relaxing with all the daily stressors and activities I have to endure.  

Reflecting back to my personal goals and activities
As I reflect back to the goals and activities I set for myself towards my physical, spiritual, and psychological well-being, I would say I am still maintaining my physical activities as well as my healthy lifestyle to better my physical well-being.  As for my spiritual well-being, I am still following the directing of my ultimate reality and do trust in him but I need to heal the inner spirit within me.  As for my psychological well-being, I am little by little working to better manage my daily stressors and strongly working hard to incorporate daily relaxation techniques.  But I feel this part of my well-being is going to the most challenging until I am completely done with achieving my degree.  I say this because I feel the pressure is on as I am closer and closer to my degree.  So as soon as I completely done in achieving my degree, I can work more into incorporating more relaxation techniques into my life. 

I would say that I have been continuing to implement the activities I chose for my well-being when I have the opportunity to do so.  For instance, for my physical and spiritual well being, I continue to proceed with what I am doing which is keeping my spiritual faith, remaining physically active through exercises and by eating healthy.  As for my psychological well-being, I need to better manage my stressors and incorporate more relaxation techniques into my life.  I need to better manage my time and make it a daily requirement.  Also, I need to make the time to incorporate these daily activities into my life.  I guess I would need to utilize the help and support from my family and friends to help assist with giving me the time to incorporate this routine daily. 

My overall Journey towards total wellness of the mind, body and spirit
This course has improved and altered my personal health and wellness in so many ways one cannot imagine.  For instance, I have learned so many health and healing methods and strategies in order to receive total wellness and human flourishing.  In order for one to reach and achieve total wellness as well as human flourishing, one must be committed and devoted to do so.  Without it one will not be happy with oneself.  One must seek their inner selves as well as their outer selves in order to completely reach happiness, fulfillment, and wholeness.  Also, we must heal the mind, body and spirit and not just one to feel at whole with oneself.  In addition, this course has given me the opportunity to learn and express my inner thinking along with my feelings.   Furthermore, this course has improved my ability to think and be more open minded to different strategies and methods of relaxation.  Most of all, this course has improved my ability to cope with everyday stressors and challenges in life and to approach each with loving kindness and with a positive outlook in order to improve the working environment one works on.    

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I have the same problem with my daily management of stress and school i believe this to be normal in our western society. At least this class has given us tools to help us manage this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post was very interesting. I agree with and Jonathan that it hard to manage our day to day stress due school and work or other issues. This is where the use of relaxation techniques can really help you achieve what you want to do. I think using the blog has helped to me to understand and become more honest with myself on what I need to improve on. I plan on continue the blog, it is not only for me to vent my frustations and realizations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an honest post! I would have to say that this class has taught me to be a bit more brutally honest with myself and realize that I do need to work on making myself more well-rounded. Stress can definitely be an exhausting thing but we have to learn to breath through it and remember that we can do anything we set our minds to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diana,

    Beautiful post! I take it that this course has taught you a bit more about yourself as it has for me. Likewise, we all could benefit from engaging in other forms of stress management skills and techniques to help us cope with stress. As Kimberly said, the important thing is to focus on our breathing; slow, deep abdominal breaths are cleansing for the body, and maintain a positive attitude in all we do as it's all mind over matter (yuck, cliche). We have been blessed with the tools and should continue to use them on our journey.

    Best of luck to you and all you desire to accomplish in life. Thanks for the wonderful interaction :)

    Yours in health,

    Allana

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is great to see that you are being honest with yourself on all accounts. It is an everyday battle to get our stress and other psychological issue under control. Just on practicing you relaxation techniques and meditation, should get a better handle on it. Keep posting after term, this is a great place to release your frustrations and have others to help give strength. I intend on keeping my blog up to date.

    ReplyDelete